Saturday 4 April 2009

Stephen the chicken - a friend for Neil. Make your own!



Neil was lonely so I made him a little friend - this is Stephen the brown chicken! He's a little more hyperactive than Neil - he can't stop flapping his wings with excitement!

A few people asked for a pattern for Neil, so I wrote one up. It's very easy. If you make a chicken, please send me a photo (angeltreats at gmail dot com), I would love to see what you made. Please be warned, I have never written a crochet pattern before, so if anything is unclear let me know.

::PATTERN::

sc = single crochet
ch = chain

st = stitch (i.e. the stitch on the round below that you are working into)

sc2tog = single crochet 2 stitches together (i.e. decrease)


Place a marker (a bit of scrap yarn will do) at the beginning of every round. Work in spirals and don't join the rounds.

Body - use white or brown yarn or whatever colour you want the body to be.

Round 1: 5 sc into magic loop (or you can do ch2, 5sc into second ch from hook if you don't know how to do magic loop)

Round 2: 2 sc into each st around


Round 3: [2 sc into same st, 1sc into next st] around

Round 4: [2 sc into same st, 1 sc into next 2 st] around


Round 5: [2 sc into same st, 1 sc into next 3 st] around


Rounds 6-12: sc around


Round 13: [sc2tog, 1 sc into next 3 st] around


Round 14: [sc2tog, 1sc into next 2st] around


Stuff body

Round 15: [sc2tog, 1st into next st] around

Pop in another bit of stuffing if you can. Sew up the hole and weave in ends.

Wings (make 2 in same colour as body

Ch 7

Row 1: Skip first ch, sc into next 6 st, ch 1

Row 2: Skip first ch, sc into next 6 st, ch1


Row 3: ch 3, sc into 4th ch from hook. [ch3, sc into next st] to end.


Finish off and weave in ends.

Comb (the thing that looks like the chicken's hairstyle!) - use red yarn.


Ch 7


Sc into 2nd ch from hook, ch3, sc into same st. [sc into next st, ch 3, sc into same st] to end.
Finish off.

Making up


Sew the wings to the sides of the body, near the top. Sew comb to the top of the head.
I have used yellow felt for the feet and beak, and seed beads for eyes, and I used superglue to attach them. You could embroider the face if you prefer.

And that's it! I hope you enjoy making your own little chicken friend :-)




4 comments:

Catilustre said...

hahaha, this is a so cute idea! Il love these little chikens! So lovely!!

Catilustre said...

chickens?...gallinitas :-)

candlemamma said...

I have to admit I love chicken broth, sorry Neil...
Thanks for the easy to read instructions. Great idea.
They are really cute.

Zoya said...

They are really cute. I wish I saw them before Easter - I guess I can just make some anyway.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...