Tuesday 9 June 2009

Some actual drawing - finally

(This one got accidentally trod on!)

I was having a complete drawing block. I couldn't think of anything I wanted to draw. So last night, despite being exhausted from a sleepless Sunday night (thanks Richard, and if you ever snore like that again I'm divorcing you) I dragged myself along to life drawing class. I was glad I went - I enjoyed it as much as I always do - but I can see that in the five weeks or so since I've been I've really taken a step backwards and I found it very difficult.

What made things harder was that the previous group to use the studio, a theatre group, had left a huge weird steel structure in the middle of the room. We couldn't move it so we had to work around it, and it obstructed the view of the model which was annoying.


This was a warmup sketch - we did lots of one minute poses but this was different because you had to use your "wrong" hand. So I drew this with my left hand in about a minute. I never tried to draw with my left hand before.

Some more drawings. I have to be honest and say I don't actually like any of them, but the important thing is I actually did some drawing and feel like the mental block has gone.



6 comments:

Alex said...

Welcome back Aveen. I've been absent for a bit too, because I was on a 2 week vacation back in Malaysia, my home :) I was busy playing with my nephews and my 14 month old niece. But I'm back in Germany again, and I should be back into drawings and sketchings again in no time.
The human sketches of yours are great by the way! You totally captured the expressions which are like absolutely essential :)

Unknown said...

It's hard to get back into it after a break, so good for you, specially for dragging yourself to class!

Danette said...

Oooh I remember those left handed sketches. We also did it in life drawing. They usually came out better than expected cause I concentrated so much harder.

Jacqueline said...

Yay happy you got some drawing done. :) It takes time to get back into it after a break. Lovely lovely drawings! Have a lovely merry happy mid-week and love to you!

Claire said...

I wish I could draw like you! You'll slowly get your groove back =)

Sue said...

These are great. And you did these after a break? Wow!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...